top of page
  • Writer's pictureHannah Phillips

Chemical Use for Vic Farmers Made Easier

Changes to government requirements for agricultural and veterinary chemical use will allow Victorian farmers to simplify their processes.

The Agricultural and Veterinary Chemicals (Control of Use) Regulations 2017 come into effect on July 23, and will include the following changes:

  • Simpler and more flexible record keeping requirements for farm chemical users;·

  • Amended product labelling and advice notes requirements for veterinary practitioners and stockfeed manufacturers;

  • Clearer notification responsibilities for aircraft or mister spraying near sensitive services;

  • Additional aerial spraying equipment options for pilots;

  • Recognition of permits issued by the Australian Pesticides and Veterinary Medicines Authority (APVMA) to use ‘restricted use’ chemicals not in accordance with the product label (off-label), which will reduce duplication in government processes; and

  • Introduction of a new offence regarding the possession of certain high risk unregistered chemicals.

Under the new possession offence, people may no longer keep chemical products containing arsenic (this excludes currently registered copper chromium arsenate products); fenthion; fenthion-ethyl; parathion; parathion-ethyl; parathion-methyl; or strychnine.

Agriculture Victoria Acting Principal Policy Officer Michael Laity said the regulations had been updated to ensure they remained the most effective means of regulating agricultural and veterinary chemical use in Victoria.

“These are all high risk unregistered chemicals that pose significant risks to human and animal health, the environment and trade.

“Responsible agricultural and veterinary chemical use is critical to protecting and enhancing consumer confidence and market access.

“Farm chemical users are advised to check if they have any of these chemicals in their possession, and to take steps to safely dispose of them via a licenced waste disposal company or chemical collection program, such as ChemClear,” he said.

Unwanted chemicals can be registered for collection with ChemClear by phoning 1800 008 182 or visiting

For more information about the current Regulations and agricultural and veterinary chemical use in Victoria, visit their webpage.

5 views0 comments
bottom of page